Tuesday 7 February 2012

Back to school cooking

Well the girls have returned to school and Miss 5 has navigated her first day of Prep successfully. Now to get myself organised for school lunches ...



This is one of my (and the girls) favourite slice recipes. The basic recipe is the same but with a few ingredient changes, you have 2 different slices. It is great for school lunch boxes and you can freeze it (although mine never makes it to the freezer). The girls also like that they can make it almost on their own (I just supervise the melting).

WEETBIX SLICE
150gm butter
4 crushed weetbix (1 cup of weetbix)
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup coconut
2 tablespoons orange juice

Mix dry ingredients well. Melt butter and add orange juice. Add to dry ingredients. Press into greased 28cm x 19cm tin. Bake at 180C for approx 20 minutes. Ice with orange or lemon icing while still warm. Cut into squares.

CHOCOLATE WEETBIX SLICE
185gm butter
4 crushed weetbix
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
1 1/2 dessertspoons cocoa

Make as above. Ice with chocolate icing.

I would love to know what great recipes you use for school lunches and snacks. I will post a couple more of my favourites over the next few days. Enjoy .....

Thought I would sneak in a photo of the girls on their first day together.  Happy days.

2 comments:

  1. Yum thanks for this recipe reminder . It is one that my mum made a lot of when we were at school. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Bron. My mum made it too and my girls love it.

      Delete